We are increasingly more persons to want to carry out the routine service of our Subaru Legacy alone, obviously, the labour in mechanics is very expensive and the least basic service can fairly quickly surpass 100€. The recent automobiles are more and more difficult and we can not carry out all their routine service, but some works like servicing its Subaru Legacy can be carried out without too much complexity. We are going to help you today to choose the best engine oil for your Subaru Legacy , this will allow you to do your oil change without any headache and to guarantee you an optimal engine unit actions. To achieve this, firstly, we will discover how to select the right engine oil for your Subaru Legacy , then, in a second step, which are the 3 best engine oils for your Subaru Legacy , and finally, we will conclude with some recommendations on how to choose your engine oil.
How to select the best engine oil for your Subaru Legacy
We will so begin our article with a small buying guide to help you choose the best motor oil for your Subaru Legacy with peace of mind. To accomplish this, we will check out the criteria that differentiate the sort of oil and then we will check out the different types of motor oil. In any case, you should know that if you choose your engine oil properly, in addition to preserving it, you will decrease your consumption and your CO2 emissions.
The criteria that differentiate engine oils for Subaru Legacy?
The role of the engine oil in your Subaru Legacy is to lubricate your engine unit to ensure that all the gears in it can run properly , and to preserve the integrity of each of its components. Furthermore, this oil, which will limit all friction, will have other tasks such as preventing corrosion, helping to dissipate heat in the engine unit and guaranteeing sealing . These oils can be purchased in 5 litre cans. We will now check out the different criteria for purchasing engine oil for Subaru Legacy :
- The cold viscosity of engine oil for Subaru Legacy (number in front of the letter “W”, which stands for “Winter”): This value will show the engine’s ability to begin cold based on the viscosity of the oil. 0W means -30°C; 5W means -25°C, 10W means -20°C and 15W means -15°C. It is therefore up to you to change it to the temperature in which you drive your Subaru Legacy.
- The hot viscosity of the engine oil for Subaru Legacy (value following the “W”): Value between 20 and 60, it is essential to remember that the higher the value, the thicker the layer of oil you will have when hot to protect your engine unit, and the lower the value, the less friction you will have when hot and therefore lower your consumption. Nevertheless, if you use your Subaru Legacy in the city, or with a sporty driving style, it’s better to protect it while hot.
- The standards : They are written on the back of the oil canister you can discover them such as “ACEA C1 – C4” or “VW 500. 01”, are only standards of compatibility with different brands of cars, you have to check in the manual of your Subaru Legacy that the oil in question is compatible with your engine unit.
- Oil brands: Please be aware that the brand should have very little effect in your judgement, there are enough objective criteria in the composition of motor oil for Subaru Legacy to avoid having to concentrate on a subjective criterion such as the brand, some car companies have partnerships and will recommend you on certain brands, but it is not necessary to stick to these suggestions.
The different types of engine oil for your Subaru Legacy
- “Mineral” engine oils 15w40: They are called mineral oils because they are mainly made up of crude refined oil, which will give them maximum viscosity and therefore a thickness suitable for old engines that tend to consume oil. However, the fact that they are natural will cause them to lose their lubricating properties more fairly quickly, so it will be necessary to shorten the intervals between oil changes.
- Semi-synthetic 10w40: This oil has a good quality/price ratio and is said to be semi-synthetic because it is still composed of several elements that will boost its life expectancy. It is thus suggested for a polyvalent use of its car. Furthermore, it favours a simpler cold begin than a mineral oil. On the other hand, you should remember to change the oil every 10, 000km.
- The “synthetic” oil 5w40: This kind of oil is really adapted to the recent Subaru Legacy engines, obviously, the protection of the engine unit will be optimum and the cold begin too. It is therefore a good choice either for people who drive in city centres, who have a sporty driving style, or who drive long distances and want to limit the frequency of their oil change.
The 3 best motor oils for Subaru Legacy
We now begin our second section in which we will concentrate on the best motor oils for Subaru Legacy , we will present our range and direct you to the best retailers so that you can make your decision in the best conditions. We have done it a point to present only oils adapted to your Subaru Legacy, so you will not necessarily discover “10w40” in our selection.
Best Low-Cost engine oil for Subaru Legacy
We done the choice to select the two best engine oils for Subaru Legacy lowcost, so that regarding to your needs you can make your choice.
Castrol GTX 15W40
This quality oil will allow you to change or top up the oil level of your Subaru Legacy with complete peace of mind at an unbeatable price.
- Value for money
- Perfect if your engine unit begins to get miles on it.
- Mineral quality.
- Periodicity of emptying, about 10, 000km
- Cold begin capacity if you live in a cold region
Mobil Super 3000 5W40
A prestigious brand that offers you a kit to do your oil change plus an additional 1 litre that you can use to check the oil level of your Subaru Legacy.
- A 100% synthetic oil that will last over time.
- Suitable for intensive use of your car.
- Less suitable for older engines.
Best mid-range engine unit oil for Subaru Legacy
Mobil Super 3000 FE 5W30
This synthetic oil is unbeatable value for money and will protect your engine unit, turbo or injection.
- High quality synthetic material that will allow you to space out your drains.
- A price to do this interesting quality.
- Suitable for all sort of pipes
- Less suitable for older vehicles or vehicles with quite a lot of mileage.
Best premium motor oil for Subaru Legacy
Castrol Edge 5W30
A premium synthetic motor oil to protect your Subaru Legacy from friction, even in the worst conditions.
- Top of the range engine unit oil appropriate for all engines from Subaru Legacy
- Startup under all conditions.
- You’re not gonna have the ability to get the price.
- Not appropriate for older vehicles
Castrol Magnatec 0W30
An ultra-synthetic motor oil for your Subaru Legacy which will be adapted to the most difficult engines such as those equipped with Start and Stop.
- Cold start under the worst conditions.
- Suitable for the most demanding engines.
- Appropriate for engines designed with Start and Stop
- You’re not gonna have the ability to get the price.
- Not appropriate for older vehicles or engines with more than 200, 000 kilometers
A few suggestions on choosing the right engine unit oil for your Subaru Legacy
And to conclude this article, we will give you some suggestions on how to make good use of the motor oil in your Subaru Legacy, and make the right choice when you buy it:
- Take note that an open can of oil should be disposed of after one year and not be used anymore because it loses a good component of its capacity and may damage your engine unit.
- Observe the advice of the oil suppliers and car manufacturers and use only oils compatible with the engine unit of your Subaru Legacy
- The oil change intervals announced by the engine unit oil manufacturer are important, do not exceed the mileage indicated on the canister between each oil change
If you wish more guides on the Subaru Legacy, go to our Subaru Legacy category.