Keeping an eye on your automobile is imperative nowadays, indeed, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the subject we are going to focus on today, one of the indicators that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Jeep Cherokee. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Jeep Cherokee?.
What does the ABS light on Jeep Cherokee mean?
We will begin our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on Jeep Cherokee, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Jeep Cherokee?
To start with, it is essential to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Jeep Cherokee is used for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Jeep Cherokee is made up of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Jeep Cherokee
In reality, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Jeep Cherokee
Now we move on to the section that you are probably more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Jeep Cherokee? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Jeep Cherokee can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Jeep Cherokee to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Jeep Cherokee: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Jeep Cherokee?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Jeep Cherokee?. The answers will be contingent on the failure you are going through. Firstly, pass your Jeep Cherokee to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Jeep Cherokee, don’t think twice to examine our guideline which points out the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Jeep Cherokee:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve spotted an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you want more guides on the Jeep Cherokee, go to our Jeep Cherokee category.