Watching your car is important in these days, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the theme we are gonna talk about on this webpage, one of the indications that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Ram ProMaster. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Ram ProMaster?.
What does the ABS light on Ram ProMaster signify?
We will commence our article with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ram ProMaster, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ram ProMaster?
To start with, it is vital to explain to you what the ABS of your Ram ProMaster is employed for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ram ProMaster is made from different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ram ProMaster
The truth is, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ram ProMaster
Now we proceed to the section that you are most probably more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ram ProMaster? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be aware that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ram ProMaster can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Ram ProMaster to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ram ProMaster: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Ram ProMaster?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ram ProMaster?. The solutions will could depend on the failures you are encountering. First of all, pass your Ram ProMaster to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ram ProMaster, don’t hesitate to browse our article content which points the steps to take. Once you have identified the source of your trouble, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Ram ProMaster:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve detected an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more guides on the Ram ProMaster, go to our Ram ProMaster category.