We continue our series of web content on what can get stuck on your car. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Chevrolet Express ignition . Specially annoying, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from utilising your car. We will therefore do everything we can to help you remedy this issue as soon as possible. To do this, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Chevrolet Express is stuck? And, at last, how to unblock the key stuck in your Chevrolet Express ignition.
What’s the purpose of my Chevrolet Express’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Chevrolet Express is a security feature. Its aim is to secure your car from theft tries. It is positioned on the steering column of your car, developed in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its aim is to prevent your Chevrolet Express from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your car key. It is closely related to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we speak about blocked neiman we generally make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Chevrolet Express ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Chevrolet Express ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve described what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Chevrolet Express that is blocked, do not think twice to consult our content on this subject. A neiman is not a wearing part that you replace repeatedly but time has an influence on it and it can happen that you have to replace it because of normal wear and tear. In this article are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Chevrolet Express :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Chevrolet Express : As we stated over, with time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become filled with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working correctly. In such a case, you should feel issue inserting and turning the key before it locks totally.
- An element of the ignition of your Chevrolet Express that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we explained in introduction, when we speak about the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Chevrolet Express: At last, last possibility, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Chevrolet Express ignition barrel?
We now move on to the solutions available to you for solving a key stuck in your Chevrolet Express ignition . According to the source of your issue the solutions will not be similar, discover them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked because of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is obvious that your neiman will not unblock. Try gently with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Chevrolet Express is clogged because of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a short while, it should unblock the neiman of your Chevrolet Express.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition because of a defective element: If finally it is because of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will unfortunately have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we suggest you to go to a specialist who will as well have to give you a new key to start your Chevrolet Express.
To discover more tips on the Chevrolet Express, take a look at the Chevrolet Express category.