Our automobiles profit from more and more technologies, generally this provides us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its pros, but as well has some down sides, with it, we discover bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is intended to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may confront complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on Ford Focus . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you discover how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated complications you may encounter with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Ford Focus work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a modern technology that began to be included into recent automobiles about ten years ago. This technology is designed to limit the fuel consumption of your Ford Focus and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its convenience is principally relevant in an urban environment. Indeed, automobiles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The guarantee of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long trips or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with included starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will immediately restart.
On some improved types, your Ford Focus will even be able to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Ford Focus: Pros and down sides
Nevertheless this system has fair pros in terms of environmental conservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some down sides to having a start and stop on Ford Focus .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a principally urban use of your Ford Focus. You will too. In addition, you will be able to profit from the purchase of a vehicle with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . At last, you will profit from an additional comfort because your engine will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . At last, the first generations of start stop technology can suffer a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Ford Focus. you will have to buy or change your battery more quite often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Ford Focus?
Now let’s proceed to the component you’re probably most interested in, how to deactivate, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Ford Focus? .
Depending on how you use your vehicle, you may desire to deactivate this system, which can be irritating or you may feel that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Ford Focus . All these are valid causes to disable your start and stop system.
Here are the two main techniques for disabling the start and stop on Ford Focus:
- The traditional approach: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every begin. Nevertheless, this approach needs you to redo the manipulation every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Ford Focus is switched off entirely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Ford Focus is switched on accidentally, or that it does not match the use you have of your vehicle. In such a case, you can deactivate it by two different ways. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . At last, second approach you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will make your Ford Focus believe that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to keep your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications Ford Focus
Concerning the different problems you might come across with the start and stop of your Ford Focus . It is possible that this is activated in an unpredicted method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Ford Focus. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as seen in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your garage to discover if there is a particular solution. Another problem encountered by Ford Focus owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already looked at the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have discovered that they are much more expensive than classic batteries, do not hesitate to deactivate this system to avoid this sort of problem. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Ford Focus does not work anymore , in this case, go to your mechanic to correct this problem.
If you have any additional questions about the Ford Focus, do not hesitate to consult our Ford Focus category.