On this page we will try to help you solve a problem that can be annoying, and if not handled in time become a financial drain. In truth, distinguishing a leak on your car is never reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your Buick Lucerne . Today, we’re going to help you verify that it’s in truth a gearbox leak, then, how to fix a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention tips, and, at last, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a Buick Lucerne.
Gearbox leak on Buick Lucerne, origin and manifestation
If you have noticed an oil stain on the ground, you will need to confirm that this leak is in truth originating from the gearbox of your Buick Lucerne. To accomplish this, you will need to go under your vehicle and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be originating from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once established, here are the possible sources of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just equipped on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to repair a gearbox leak on Buick Lucerne?
After discovering the different sources of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Buick Lucerne, we will try to show you to you what are your possibilities to fix this oil leak. Remember that whatever the case, after having founded a leak, you must go to a garage area to distinguish the exact origin of the leak, in any other case your gearbox might be irreparably broken. However, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to distinguish the leak, the mechanic will have to dismantle your gearbox, which will involve a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your mechanic will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Buick Lucerne, in any other case you’ll have to replace the complete gearbox
- At last, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only effective in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Buick Lucerne?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Buick Lucerne , nevertheless here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this action, please browse our content on this subject matter.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug moderate leaks, you will discover some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Buick Lucerne gearbox
At last, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Buick Lucerne. As you have understood, gearbox problems generally lead to a complete replace of this part. It is difficult to give you a precise price because based on the garage area the labour can vary quite a lot and based on your engine the part will also have a different price, nevertheless, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Buick Lucerne, do not hesitate to consult our Buick Lucerne category.