A catalytic converter is an essential part of modern cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus matches modern pollution requirements. However, it is possible that it may become clogged or malfunction, in which case a replace or cleaning is necessary. Today we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Chevrolet Cobalt? To get this done, first of all, we will explain the circumstances in which it may be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Cobalt, then, how to perform this cleaning to retrieve the performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Cobalt?
In this first section we will show you why it may be necessary to clean the catalyst of your Chevrolet Cobalt . In fact for some of you it might seem logical but most of you do not understand how it works and the outcomes dirty catalytic converter .
Purpose and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Chevrolet Cobalt
The catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Cobalt has the function to eliminate harmful exhaust gases associated with the process of your engine unit. In fact, it is one of the main elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Chevrolet Cobalt. It will transform these harmful gases into water or non-polluting gases. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Chevrolet Cobalt a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can only work from 400°, it is therefore essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Cobalt. If you are thinking of making adequately long travels to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimise the life of this part and maintain ideal engine unit efficiency.
Results of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Chevrolet Cobalt
We will now see what can be the outcomes of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Chevrolet Cobalt . This will enable you to discover the manifestations that should inform you to a breakdown of your catalytic converter, here is the list of symptoms of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Cobalt is blocked: As we explained earlier, if you make too short travels like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Chevrolet Cobalt may come on, do not hesitate to seek advice from our article to identify how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will quite often as well have problems.
- A metallic noise coming from the exhaust: In the event that the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Cobalt
Before we accomplish with the step you are almost certainly most curious about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Chevrolet Cobalt? We will show you why it may be relevant for you to carry out this cleaning. In fact, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can vary depending to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you may be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . At last, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Chevrolet Cobalt?
Finally here is the step that you are most likely most enthusiastic about in this article content, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Chevrolet Cobalt? Know that this procedure is very very easy, and that there are two ways to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Chevrolet Cobalt regularly: This strategy is especially valuable for persons who principally do short trips . To do so, nothing could be simpler, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can find some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel straight in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can carry out this procedure every 15 000km.
If you want more guides on the Chevrolet Cobalt, go to our Chevrolet Cobalt category.