Some routine service actions such as changing the engine unit oil may seem evident and fundamental, while others such as changing the gearbox oil from its Ford Transit may seem less natural. Nevertheless, produce no mistake, changing the gearbox is just as necessary as changing the engine unit oil. This content page will show you the purpose of the gearbox oil, then, why it is vital to change the gearbox of your Ford Transit, and finally, how to change the gearbox oil of a Ford Transit .
Purpose of gearbox oil on a Ford Transit
So we start our content page with the purpose of gearbox oil on a Ford Transit. The objective of this short introduction is to produce you understand the benefit of this fluid which guarantees the good functioning of your motor vehicle. The gearbox of your car has the objective to demultiply the power transmitted by the engine unit and send it back to your wheels . It is made up of pinions and gears that will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds depending on the curves and the gear engaged. It will operate with the help of an axle and a differential. All these auto parts will need to be highly lubricate to function correctly, limit friction and tolerate the high temperatures generated by the engine unit and friction. Your transmission oil has a high viscosity and will prevent the formation of filings or gear breakage, so it is essential to the correct performing of the gearbox.
Why changing the gearbox oil from a Ford Transit?
Now we’ll see what’s the point of draining the gearbox oil of your Ford Transit?
Interest of gearbox oil changing Ford Transit
There are several interests to change the gearbox of your motor vehicle regularly, we will list them and outline them below:
- Over time, the oil will lose its viscosity due to friction and temperature rise, which will bring about less lubrication of the gears and pinions and therefore risk to break some of them.
- Same as viscosity, time and temperature rise will lower the oil resistance to the engine unit temperature, So it will fluidize much more easily when the engine heats up, which is not good for your gearbox.
- Accumulation of metallic residues: Finally, even if you always have a quality oil, a gearbox is an element that wears out and generates iron filings with friction, the oil will pick them up and if it gathers up too much these residues can get into gears and break them.
When to do the gearbox oil change on a Ford Transit?
Whether you want to do an automatic or manual gearbox oil change on Ford Transit or strong> the process is not similar, nevertheless, dealers do not give mileage recommendations to change the oil in your gearbox, on the other hand when you do an intervention on the gearbox it is wise to change it, in any other case here are the factors to produce you take into consideration doing this oil change.
Oil change for manual gearbox Ford Transit
- Gears are jumping: you are probably missing oil and you may have a gearbox oil leak, please see our content page on gearbox leaks on Ford Transit for more information.
- The gearbox cracks when you switch gears: The oil has undoubtedly lost viscosity and is too fluid, so the gears get stuck.
- Difficulty to shift gears: Same issue as just before, the oil is undoubtedly too fluid.
Automatic gearbox oil change
- A slow start from the neutral position to the first one: quite often a viscosity issue.
- Difficulty or even impossibility to shift gears: Lack of oil
How to change gearbox oil of a Ford Transit?
At last, to end this content page, we will show you you how to empty the gearbox oil of your Ford Transit , it’s much easier than you might think, here are the few steps to stick to to do it correctly:
- Heat your Ford Transit for about 10 minutes to get a fluid oil, place it flat on 4 stands.
- Install a drain pan under the drain plug, open it, and clean it well because it will probably collect filings.
- Let all the oil run out until it’s all gone.
- Replace and tighten the cap, then fill with a syringe through the filler cap with the manufacturer’s suggested dose
If you want more guides on the Ford Transit, go to our Ford Transit category.