Whether it’s for your personal safety, for roadworthiness testing or for your wallet, making sure your headlight bulbs are always functional is very important. In fact, bulbs are wearing parts that will inevitably burn out over time and therefore need to be replaced. You’re probably here because one of your headlights is burnt out and you’re wondering how to change the bulb of the low beam lights on your car, we’ve written this article to help you do this operation by yourself and not need to go to your mechanic. Firstly, we will look at the choice of the low beam bulb for your car and secondly, how to change the low beam bulb on your vehicle.
How to choose the low beam light bulb on my car?
Let’s start our article with the choice of dipped beam bulb on my car, you probably already have your set of spare bulbs in the glove compartment of your car. However, you may have already used your spare bulb and do not wish to buy a complete set. Or maybe you want to improve the power of your headlights and therefore choose a more efficient bulb. When we talk about dipped beam light bulbs on your car, we also talk about H7 bulbs, this is indeed the “technical” name of this bulb. Here are the different types of bulbs that exist and their advantages:
- Halogen low beam bulb car: This first type of bulb has several advantages, they are suitable for all budgets because they are the most accessible bulbs. Halogen low beam bulbs for your car have the advantage of having a powerful and precise beam but tend to produce a yellow light that tires the eyes fairly quickly. In addition, they have a limited life span and can burn out quite quickly for no reason.
- Xenon low-beam bulb:
Changing the low beam bulb of your car for Xenon is the mid-range choice. Indeed, it will give you a power and a white colour close to LED lighting, but in terms of life expectancy, it will be between halogen and Xenon. Same in terms of budget.
- LED low beam bulb:
Changing the low beam bulb of your car to LED, there will be several interests to switch to this type of technology for motorists. Indeed, a LED bulb will firstly produce a powerful white light that does not tire the eyes, moreover it will have a very long life, you may change vehicle before you need to change bulb, finally the energy consumption is very low, a forgotten headlight will have less consequences than with conventional bulbs. On the other hand, you should know that the purchase price will be higher and that on some models you will need an adapter to be able to install them.
How to change the low beam bulb on your car
Now let’s move on to the part that probably interests you the most, how to change the low beam bulb on my car, to change this bulb know that there are not 10,000 ways. Indeed, we will detail the few steps to be done, but be aware that on some years or finishes, access to the low beam bulb on your vehicle can be very complicated and will require the help of a professional:
- To change a low beam bulb on your car, you’ll have to open the hood of the bulb.
- Locate the access hatch to your optical block
- You will then have to clear the access of this one, that’s where it gets complicated on some series, the access is sometimes complex and making room by removing the components that interfere may seem too complicated. In general, one side is easy and the other is more complicated.
- Once you’ve accessed the hatch, all you have to do is open it, take out your old bulb and change the low beam bulb on your car
- Remember to put everything back in place, remembering to put everything you moved to access the headlight block of your car
You can then repeat the operation on the other side if you need to change both bulbs of your dipped headlights of your car. If you also need to change your fog lights bulbs to your car, we have made an article to help you with this procedure.