Regardless whether it’s for your specific safety, for roadworthiness testing or to avoid a fine, ensuring that your headlamp bulbs are always functional is necessary. Indeed, bulbs are wearing units that will surely burn out in the future and as a result need to be swapped out. You’re most certainly on this website because one of your parking lights is burnt out and you’re wanting to know how to change your Subaru Outback’s license plate bulb, we’ve written and published this content to help you do it by yourself and not have to go to your motor mechanic. Firstly, we will look at changing the license plate bulb from the outside, secondly, how to change the license plate bulb without outside access, and thirdly, how to change the rear license plate bulb of your Subaru Outback.
How to swap the license plate bulb on your Subaru Outback through the outside
This technique is the quickest of the two, in reality, for this one you will only have to take off the protective covers of the bulbs. Regrettably on some years or packages of car these covers do not open from the outside and if this is the situation we will dedicate some time on in the second section of this content page to demonstrate the way.
So let’s start with replacing the number plate bulb by going through the outside of your Subaru Outback. Regardless whether it’s the front or the back of your automobile the technique will be similar.
Here are a few simple actions to stick to to carry out this maintenance:
- With the engine turned off, unplug the battery terminals from your car
- Position yourself in front of your license plate and use a flat screwdriver or knife to place the flat part into the notch provided for this purpose (almost always on the transparent cover) and lever on the plastic window to open the license plate bulb slot of your Subaru Outback
- Use your screwdriver or knife to eject the bulb from its location, if you are afraid of damaging anything, you can also do it with your fingers.
- Finally, position the new license plate light bulb
- Last stage, before reassembling, reconnect your battery and verify the light to confirm the successfulness of the process.
How to change the number plate bulb on your Subaru Outback without outside access
Second section of our article, replace this license plate bulb on your Subaru Outback without external access. In most cases you will be able to access it, but some series (often at the rear does not allow this access).
How to swap the front license plate bulb on my Subaru Outback
To swap the one on the front plate, nothing could be less complicated, you will have to position yourself under the automobile (preferably put on candles to give you some space), and, going through the rear of the bumper, you will have to unclip the license plate bulb block, almost always kept by two soft plastic tabs by pressing on both simultaneously, then right after you have your license plate bulb block in hand, Take away the plastic that works as a seal, then with a thin screwdriver, on one side you will find a small notch, use a lever to open the plastic cover (take extra care not to apply too much force or you will break the plastic cover), and you will simply have to take off the burnt-out license plate bulb and swap it with the new , then test and reassemble the whole thing.
How to swap the rear license plate bulb on my Subaru Outback
Finally last possibility, you must swap the bulb on the backplate of your Subaru Outback, but you simply cannot open the cover from the outside of your automobile. In this case, here is the method to execute this operation:
- Disconnect the battery from your Subaru Outback
- Find the spot of your light bulbs from the outside.
- From the inside of the trunk, you have to remove the lining of the trunk, kept by clips, you will have to lever softly on all the frame of the trunk to remove it.
- Once found, before removing the bulb holders, unplug the holders for less complicated access.
- Using a screwdriver, lever the two plastic parts to remove the bulb holder
- Change the burnt-out license plate bulb on your Subaru Outback, verify it and reassemble it, watching the clips on the trunk liner
There you have it, you have discovered the main techniques for replacing license plate bulbs on your car, be aware that on some models the technique may be a bit different but you should be able to accomplish it following the explanation of this document. If you can’t do it, don’t be reluctant to go to your mechanic it would be a shame to break a part of your Subaru Outback. If you want to change other bulbs like the position light bulbs on your Subaru Outback or the low beam bulbs on Subaru Outback, don’t be reluctant to consult our articles which describe you the procedure to follow.
To discover more tips on the Subaru Outback, take a look at the Subaru Outback category.