Monitoring your car is vital nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the subject we are going to focus on in this article, one of the signs that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Volkswagen Routan. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Volkswagen Routan?.
What does the ABS light on Volkswagen Routan mean?
We will start our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Volkswagen Routan, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Volkswagen Routan?
To begin with, it is fundamental to describe to you what the ABS of your Volkswagen Routan is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Volkswagen Routan is composed of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Volkswagen Routan
In fact, you can very easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Volkswagen Routan
Now we move on to the section that you are most probably more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Volkswagen Routan? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Volkswagen Routan can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Volkswagen Routan to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Volkswagen Routan: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will inevitably turn on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Volkswagen Routan?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Volkswagen Routan?. The answers will be based upon the failure you are encountering. To begin with, pass your Volkswagen Routan to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Volkswagen Routan, don’t think twice to browse our article content which details the steps to take. Once you have discovered the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Volkswagen Routan:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Volkswagen Routan, take a look at the Volkswagen Routan category.