Keeping an eye on your vehicle is important in these modern times, indeed, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is exactly the topic we are going to focus on on this webpage, one of the indications that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Scion xB. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Scion xB?.
What does the ABS light on Scion xB mean?
We will begin our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Scion xB, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Scion xB?
To begin with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Scion xB is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Scion xB is consisting of different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Scion xB
In reality, you can quite easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Scion xB
Now we proceed to the section that you are certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Scion xB? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be informed that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Scion xB can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Scion xB to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Scion xB: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Scion xB?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Scion xB?. The solutions will depend on the deficiencies you are enduring. To begin with, pass your Scion xB to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Scion xB, don’t be reluctant to examine our content page which explains the steps to take. Once you have found the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Scion xB:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve spotted an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Scion xB, go to our Scion xB category.