Keeping an eye on your automobile is imperative in these days, in reality, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the subject we are gonna discuss on this webpage, one of the signs that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Volkswagen New Beetle. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Volkswagen New Beetle?.
What does the ABS light on Volkswagen New Beetle indicate?
We will commence our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Volkswagen New Beetle, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Volkswagen New Beetle?
To start with, it is necessary to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Volkswagen New Beetle is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Volkswagen New Beetle is made up of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Volkswagen New Beetle
The truth is, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Volkswagen New Beetle
Now we go forward to the part that you are certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Volkswagen New Beetle? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be advised that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Volkswagen New Beetle can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Volkswagen New Beetle to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Volkswagen New Beetle: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Volkswagen New Beetle?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Volkswagen New Beetle?. The solutions will might depend on the failure you are going through. First of all, pass your Volkswagen New Beetle to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Volkswagen New Beetle, don’t think twice to go through our guideline which details the steps to take. Once you have established the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Volkswagen New Beetle:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve detected an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more guides on the Volkswagen New Beetle, go to our Volkswagen New Beetle category.