Monitoring your vehicle is vital in these modern times, in truth, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the topic we are going to focus on on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz Sprinter. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Mercedes Benz Sprinter?.
What does the ABS light on Mercedes Benz Sprinter indicate?
We will begin our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz Sprinter, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Mercedes Benz Sprinter?
To start with, it is essential to explain to you what the ABS of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter is made from different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter
The truth is, you can with ease come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Now we proceed to the section that you are certainly more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Mercedes Benz Sprinter can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz Sprinter to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Mercedes Benz Sprinter?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Mercedes Benz Sprinter?. The solutions will be based upon the failures you are enduring. Firstly, pass your Mercedes Benz Sprinter to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Mercedes Benz Sprinter, don’t be reluctant to go through our article which points the steps to take. Once you have determined the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz Sprinter:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you want more tutorials on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter, go to our Mercedes Benz Sprinter category.