Keeping an eye on your automobile is fundamental in these modern times, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the topic we are going to focus on in this article, one of the indicators that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz CLA Class. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Mercedes Benz CLA Class?.
What does the ABS light on Mercedes Benz CLA Class mean?
We will start our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz CLA Class, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Mercedes Benz CLA Class?
First of all, it is necessary to describe to you what the ABS of your Mercedes Benz CLA Class is used for so that you can understand the rest of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Mercedes Benz CLA Class is made from several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Mercedes Benz CLA Class
In fact, you can simply come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Mercedes Benz CLA Class
Now we proceed to the section that you are most likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Mercedes Benz CLA Class? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Mercedes Benz CLA Class can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz CLA Class to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Mercedes Benz CLA Class: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Mercedes Benz CLA Class?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Mercedes Benz CLA Class?. The solutions will depend on the deficiencies you are experiencing. To begin with, pass your Mercedes Benz CLA Class to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Mercedes Benz CLA Class, don’t think twice to go through our content page which explains the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz CLA Class:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you have any additional questions about the Mercedes Benz CLA Class, do not hesitate to consult our Mercedes Benz CLA Class category.