Monitoring your vehicle is important in these modern times, indeed, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the subject we are gonna focus on today, one of the signs that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz GLE Class. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Mercedes Benz GLE Class?.
What does the ABS light on Mercedes Benz GLE Class signify?
We will start our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Mercedes Benz GLE Class, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Mercedes Benz GLE Class?
To begin with, it is important to describe to you what the ABS of your Mercedes Benz GLE Class is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Mercedes Benz GLE Class is made from different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Mercedes Benz GLE Class
In fact, you can quite easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Mercedes Benz GLE Class
Now we move on to the section that you are almost certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Mercedes Benz GLE Class? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be aware that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Mercedes Benz GLE Class can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them motives the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz GLE Class to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Mercedes Benz GLE Class: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Mercedes Benz GLE Class?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Mercedes Benz GLE Class?. The answers will be contingent on the failures you are having. Firstly, pass your Mercedes Benz GLE Class to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Mercedes Benz GLE Class, don’t think twice to browse our content page which explains the steps to take. Once you have identified the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Mercedes Benz GLE Class:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve spotted an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Mercedes Benz GLE Class, do not hesitate to consult our Mercedes Benz GLE Class category.