Keeping an eye on your car is very important in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is exactly the subject we are going to discuss on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Lexus IS. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Lexus IS?.
What does the ABS light on Lexus IS mean?
We will commence our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Lexus IS, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Lexus IS?
To start with, it is necessary to explain to you what the ABS of your Lexus IS is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Lexus IS is made from several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Lexus IS
In fact, you can very easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Lexus IS
Now we go forward to the section that you are certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Lexus IS? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Lexus IS can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them causes the ABS light on your Lexus IS to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Lexus IS: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Lexus IS?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Lexus IS?. The solutions will might depend on the failure you are enduring. To begin with, pass your Lexus IS to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Lexus IS, don’t be reluctant to go through our article content which explains the steps to take. Once you have discovered the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Lexus IS:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve detected an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Lexus IS, go to our Lexus IS category.