Keeping an eye on your automobile is important in these modern times, indeed, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is exactly the subject we are gonna focus on in this article, one of the signs that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ford Flex. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Ford Flex?.
What does the ABS light on Ford Flex signify?
We will begin our paper with the definition of an ABS warning light on Ford Flex, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford Flex?
First of all, it is important to describe to you what the ABS of your Ford Flex is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford Flex is made from several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford Flex
In fact, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford Flex
Now we go forward to the part that you are most certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford Flex? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be informed that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford Flex can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your Ford Flex to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford Flex: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Ford Flex?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford Flex?. The answers will could depend on the failures you are experiencing. Firstly, pass your Ford Flex to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford Flex, don’t be reluctant to go through our content which points the steps to take. Once you have identified the cause of your problem, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford Flex:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve spotted an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Ford Flex, take a look at the Ford Flex category.