Keeping an eye on your vehicle is essential in these days, in fact, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the subject we are gonna discuss today, one of the indicators that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Lexus ES. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Lexus ES?.
What does the ABS light on Lexus ES signify?
We will start our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on Lexus ES, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Lexus ES?
First of all, it is fundamental to explain to you what the ABS of your Lexus ES is employed for so that you can understand the remaining of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Lexus ES is made up of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Lexus ES
In truth, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Lexus ES
Now we proceed to the part that you are most probably more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Lexus ES? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Lexus ES can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Lexus ES to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Lexus ES: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Lexus ES?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Lexus ES?. The answers will be contingent on the failures you are encountering. First of all, pass your Lexus ES to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Lexus ES, don’t be reluctant to browse our content which points out the steps to take. Once you have identified the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Lexus ES:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve detected an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To discover more tips on the Lexus ES, take a look at the Lexus ES category.