Keeping an eye on your vehicle is very important in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are going to discuss in this article, one of the symptoms that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Jeep Wrangler. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Jeep Wrangler?.
What does the ABS light on Jeep Wrangler signify?
We will begin our content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Jeep Wrangler, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Jeep Wrangler?
To start with, it is important to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Jeep Wrangler is utilized for so that you can understand the remaining of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Jeep Wrangler is composed of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Jeep Wrangler
In fact, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Jeep Wrangler
Now we move on to the part that you are probably more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Jeep Wrangler? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Jeep Wrangler can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Jeep Wrangler to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Jeep Wrangler: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will inevitably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Jeep Wrangler?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Jeep Wrangler?. The answers will rely upon the deficiencies you are encountering. First of all, pass your Jeep Wrangler to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Jeep Wrangler, don’t be reluctant to examine our content page which points out the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the origin of your issue, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Jeep Wrangler:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve noticed an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you want more tutorials on the Jeep Wrangler, go to our Jeep Wrangler category.