Watching your vehicle is vital in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the topic we are gonna focus on in this article, one of the signs that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Toyota Sienna. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Toyota Sienna?.
What does the ABS light on Toyota Sienna signify?
We will commence our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Toyota Sienna, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Toyota Sienna?
First of all, it is vital to describe to you what the ABS of your Toyota Sienna is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Toyota Sienna is made up of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Toyota Sienna
The fact is, you can very easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Toyota Sienna
Now we move on to the part that you are certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Toyota Sienna? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Toyota Sienna can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Toyota Sienna to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Toyota Sienna: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Toyota Sienna?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Toyota Sienna?. The solutions will depend on the failure you are experiencing. First of all, pass your Toyota Sienna to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Toyota Sienna, don’t hesitate to examine our article which points out the steps to take. Once you have established the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Toyota Sienna:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To discover more tips on the Toyota Sienna, take a look at the Toyota Sienna category.