Monitoring your car is imperative nowadays, indeed, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the subject we are gonna discuss on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ford Transit Connect. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Ford Transit Connect?.
What does the ABS light on Ford Transit Connect mean?
We will begin our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ford Transit Connect, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford Transit Connect?
To start with, it is important to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Ford Transit Connect is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford Transit Connect is made up of different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford Transit Connect
The truth is, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford Transit Connect
Now we proceed to the part that you are most likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford Transit Connect? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be advised that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford Transit Connect can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Ford Transit Connect to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford Transit Connect: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Ford Transit Connect?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford Transit Connect?. The solutions will be based upon the deficiencies you are having. Firstly, pass your Ford Transit Connect to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford Transit Connect, don’t hesitate to browse our content page which explains the steps to take. Once you have determined the source of your trouble, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford Transit Connect:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve noticed an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more guides on the Ford Transit Connect, go to our Ford Transit Connect category.