Monitoring your automobile is essential in these modern times, in truth, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is exactly the theme we are gonna talk about in this article, one of the indicators that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Sonic. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Sonic?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Sonic indicate?
We will begin our content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Sonic, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Sonic?
To start with, it is necessary to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Sonic is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Sonic is composed of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Sonic
In fact, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Sonic
Now we go forward to the section that you are most likely more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Sonic? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is faulty. You should be aware that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Sonic can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Chevrolet Sonic to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Sonic: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Chevrolet Sonic?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Sonic?. The solutions will might depend on the failures you are having. First of all, pass your Chevrolet Sonic to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Sonic, don’t think twice to browse our article content which explains the steps to take. Once you have identified the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Sonic:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
In the event that you have any further questions about the Chevrolet Sonic, do not hesitate to consult our Chevrolet Sonic category.