Watching your automobile is vital in these days, in fact, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are going to focus on in this article, one of the indicators that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on BMW 4 Series. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on BMW 4 Series?.
What does the ABS light on BMW 4 Series signify?
We will commence our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on BMW 4 Series, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on BMW 4 Series?
To start with, it is important to explain to you what the ABS of your BMW 4 Series is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your BMW 4 Series is consisting of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your BMW 4 Series
In reality, you can quite easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on BMW 4 Series
Now we move on to the section that you are probably more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a BMW 4 Series? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is defective. You should be advised that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your BMW 4 Series can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your BMW 4 Series to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your BMW 4 Series: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my BMW 4 Series?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my BMW 4 Series?. The solutions will be based upon the failures you are having. To begin with, pass your BMW 4 Series to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on BMW 4 Series, don’t hesitate to examine our guideline which points out the steps to take. Once you have discovered the cause of your problem, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your BMW 4 Series:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To discover more tips on the BMW 4 Series, take a look at the BMW 4 Series category.