Paying attention to your car is fundamental in these days, in fact, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the subject we are going to focus on in this article, one of the indications that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Audi A5. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Audi A5?.
What does the ABS light on Audi A5 indicate?
We will begin our content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Audi A5, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Audi A5?
To begin with, it is fundamental to explain to you what the ABS of your Audi A5 is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Audi A5 is made up of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Audi A5
The truth is, you can quite easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Audi A5
Now we go forward to the section that you are most probably more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Audi A5? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Audi A5 can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Audi A5 to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Audi A5: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Audi A5?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Audi A5?. The solutions will rely upon the failures you are going through. First of all, pass your Audi A5 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Audi A5, don’t be reluctant to go through our article which details the steps to take. Once you have determined the source of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Audi A5:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve spotted an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more guides on the Audi A5, go to our Audi A5 category.