Learning to drive a car is not constantly easy, and often it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Jeep Liberty, if it’s for basic comfort or ease of use, this type of transmission is becoming more and more wide-spread. However, although they might seem like the best solution, there may possibly also be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Jeep Liberty . This is exactly the theme of our article. First, we’ll quickly show you the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you may possibly come across with the gearbox of your Jeep Liberty , and, at last, how to fix them.
The different kind of automatic gearbox of a Jeep Liberty
Gearboxes have the advantage of being reputed to be reliable, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and everything is electronically and mechanically managed there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other parts that could be put to the test by misuse on your component.
However, based on the type of automatic transmission your Jeep Liberty is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will present them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will change the driver’s action. This type of gearbox is less and less basic because they are viewed as very slow. We also often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the ultimate automatic transmission, it works on the same concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or elevated fuel consumption. They are often equipped on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same concept as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are really slow and often be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Jeep Liberty.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Jeep Liberty
We now begin the component that absolutely attracts you the most in this post, what are the complications you may face with the automatic transmission of your Jeep Liberty? As explained earlier, generally speaking they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the most important complications you may come across:
- As explained earlier, no matter what type of automatic gearbox, they are often known to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to appear only when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it happens all the time, the clutch or converter is most likely dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Jeep Liberty no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or often jump on your Jeep Liberty, there is a component that is undoubtedly to blame for this failure. In actual fact, the solenoid that works as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working properly, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be faulty and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops coming from the automatic gearbox of your Jeep Liberty: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Jeep Liberty’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Jeep Liberty’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most likely one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Jeep Liberty?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the strategies to resolve the automatic transmission complications on your Jeep Liberty . Find them just below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Jeep Liberty: Find the source of the leak, and change the concerned gasket, get it achieved by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, specifically for the labour. Do not hesitate to read our article on gearbox oil leaks on Jeep Liberty.
- Sensor problem: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the only remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros depending on the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Jeep Liberty, you will only need to do a complete gearbox change to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Jeep Liberty slips: In this case, you most certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to change the clutch, and on some models you won’t have the ability to change it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Jeep Liberty, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, whatever the case, for such complex mechanisms. When you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
To find more tips on the Jeep Liberty, take a look at the Jeep Liberty category.