Caring for your car is essential, whether it is to enjoy a pleasant drive, to sell it at a fair price, or to avoid huge unpredicted expenses. Some of these maintenance works are inevitable, such as brake maintenance, and we’ll just see what price to replace the brake discs of a Porsche 911 . Regardless if it is difficult to give you an exact price, we will first explain the function of the brake discs of a car, then an estimate of the price of changing the brake discs of your Porsche 911, and at last, why and when to replace its discs.
Purpose of the brake discs of a Porsche 911
Before we see the cost of changing the brake discs on your Porsche 911, we will explain what their purpose is. They are an integral component of your braking system and make certain your security on the road. This braking element is a consumable, this component will have to be changed according to the use you have of your Porsche 911. There are two distinct braking systems, the drum brakes which will be a sort of circles inside which pads will be pressed on the walls to slow down the car, frequently equipped on old vehicles or on the rear wheels because they have less braking power. The discs, as their name indicates, are like thick metal discs that will be pinched by the brake pads to stop your Porsche 911 . Over time and friction the thickness of the discs will reduce and they will become less useful.
Price for changing the brake discs of a Porsche 911
We’ll now proceed to the component you’re most likely most interested in. How much does it cost to change the brake discs on a Porsche 911? It is important to know that the brake discs are sold in pairs, generally speaking your car will be equipped with them at the front, and not necessarily at the rear. As 70% of the braking power of a car is concentrated on the front of the car it is essential to have them in good working order. We are going to explain the different possibilities available to you to replace the brake discs of your Porsche 911 and the different prices of these solutions , here they are:
- The first solution is actually the priciest, if you have already had to cope with a garage of the brand of your Porsche 911 you should know that the services are always considerably higher priced. We guarantee you an expertise which is not always there and which in any case is not required for many services such as changing the brake disc. Nevertheless, changing the brake discs of your Porsche 911 at the manufacturer will cost you between 250 and 350 euros based on the finish of your car.
- To pass by a car center or an independent garage is a solution more and more appreciated by the car owners, for some they allow to keep the guarantee of your Porsche 911 while minimizing the bill. It is estimated that changing the brake discs of a Porsche 911 in this kind of garage amounts to around 150 to 250 euros.
- At last, it is possible to replace your brake discs by yourself , with some know-how the task is not very complex and you will find courses on the internet. For this, you just have to buy the component. If you buy it in a store you will get it for 50/60 euros and 30/4 if you buy it online.
Why and when to change the brake discs on his Porsche 911?
As we stated in the introduction, the brake discs on your Porsche 911 are wear parts. It is estimated that the brake discs have a lifetime of 80, 000 to 110, 000 km based on the use you will have (highway or city for example). Finally, certain signs can notify you to the need to replace the brake discs on your Porsche 911:
- Strong squeaking noises during braking, remember to check the level of brake fluid in your Porsche 911, do not hesitate to consult our article on this subject.
- Heavy vibration in the brake pedal when you brake.
- Major scratches or stains on your brake discs
To get more tips on the Porsche 911, take a look at the Porsche 911 category.