Caring for your vehicle is fundamental, if it is to enjoy a pleasant drive, to sell it at a fair price, or to avoid huge unexpected expenses. Some of these routine service works are inevitable, such as brake maintenance, and we’ll just find out what price to replace the brake discs of a Lexus GS . Regardless if it is hard to give you an exact price, we will first show you the function of the brake discs of a car, then an estimate of the price of changing the brake discs of your Lexus GS, and at last, why and when to replace its discs.
Purpose of the brake discs of a Lexus GS
Before we find out the cost of changing the brake discs on your Lexus GS, we will show you what their function is. They are an integral component of your braking system and make certain your safety on the road. This braking element is a consumable, this component will have to be changed depending to the use you have of your Lexus GS. There are two distinct braking systems, the drum brakes which will be a kind of circles inside which pads will be pressed on the walls to slow down the vehicle, frequently equipped on old vehicles or on the rear wheels because they have less braking power. The discs, as their name indicates, are like thick metal discs that will be pinched by the brake pads to stop your Lexus GS . Over time and friction the thickness of the discs will reduce and they will become less efficient.
Price for changing the brake discs of a Lexus GS
We’ll now proceed to the component you’re most certainly most interested in. How much does it cost to change the brake discs on a Lexus GS? It is important to know that the brake discs are sold in pairs, in general your car will be built with them at the front, and not necessarily at the rear. As 70% of the braking power of a car is concentrated on the front of the car it is fundamental to have them in good working conditions. We are going to describe the different possibilities available to you to replace the brake discs of your Lexus GS and the different prices of these solutions , here they are:
- The first solution is actually the most costly, if you have already had to deal with a mechanic of the brand of your Lexus GS you should know that the services are constantly substantially higher priced. We guarantee you an expertise which is not constantly there and which whatever the case is not necessary for many services such as changing the brake disc. However, changing the brake discs of your Lexus GS at the manufacturer will cost you between 250 and 350 euros depending on the finish of your car.
- To complete by a car center or an independent mechanic is a solution more and more appreciated by the car owners, for some they allow to keep the guarantee of your Lexus GS although lowering the bill. It is expected that changing the brake discs of a Lexus GS in this type of garage amounts to around 150 to 250 euros.
- Finally, it is possible to replace your brake discs by yourself , with some expertise the operation is not very difficult and you will discover tutorials on the net. To do this, you only have to buy the component. If you buy it in a store you will get it for 50/60 euros and 30/4 if you buy it online.
Why and when to change the brake discs on his Lexus GS?
As we explained in the introduction, the brake discs on your Lexus GS are wear parts. It is expected that the brake discs have a lifetime of 80, 000 to 110, 000 km depending on the use you will have (highway or city for example). Finally, certain signs can inform you to the need to replace the brake discs on your Lexus GS:
- Strong squeaking noises during braking, remember to verify the level of brake fluid in your Lexus GS, do not hesitate to consult our content page on this subject.
- Heavy vibration in the brake pedal when you brake.
- Major scratches or stains on your brake discs
If you wish more tutorials on the Lexus GS, go to our Lexus GS category.