We continue our series of web content on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Ram ProMaster ignition . Particularly annoying, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from employing your motor vehicle. We will consequently do everything we can to help you remedy this issue as soon as possible. To get this done, first, we will explain to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Ram ProMaster is stuck? And, at last, how to unblock the key stuck in your Ram ProMaster ignition.
What’s the goal of my Ram ProMaster’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Ram ProMaster is a secureness part. Its goal is to protect your car from theft attempts. It is installed on the steering column of your motor vehicle, created in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its goal is to prevent your Ram ProMaster from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not identify your motor vehicle key. It is closely related to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we speak about blocked neiman we quite often refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Ram ProMaster ignition?
Now it’s time to explain to you why the key is stuck in your Ram ProMaster ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve detailed what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Ram ProMaster that is blocked, do not hesitate to browse our content page on this subject matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you change regularly but time has an influence on it and it can occur that you have to change it due to normal wear and tear. On this website are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Ram ProMaster :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Ram ProMaster : As we said above, with time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become filled with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from functioning effectively. In this case, you should feel issue inserting and turning the key before it locks entirely.
- A component of the ignition of your Ram ProMaster that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we revealed in introduction, when we mention the neiman we tend to include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Ram ProMaster: Finally, last possibility, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Ram ProMaster ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for resolving a key stuck in your Ram ProMaster ignition . Depending to the source of your issue the solutions will not be the same, find them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Ram ProMaster is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Ram ProMaster.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a defective element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will regrettably have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we recommend you to go to a specialist who will as well have to give you a new key to start your Ram ProMaster.
If you want more tutorials on the Ram ProMaster, go to our Ram ProMaster category.