Modern cars have more and more options and although they bring us a lot of comfort, some of them are not always easy to use. Whether you have rented a car, been lent one, or just bought a new car, depending on its options, it can be difficult to understand how to start a car? Even if this essential act of running a car may seem obvious to most of you, depending on the options and the year of production of your car, it will be more or less simple to do so. Today we will explain the different ways to start a vehicle with the key, then, in a second step, how to switch on a car with a key card, and finally, without using the key.
How to start my car with key?
So we start our article which aims to teach you how to start a car,which is equipped with a classic key start. Find below the various steps to be carried out to turn on the engine of your car:
- Identify the location of the neiman (hole in which the key is inserted), it is in most cases on the right side of your steering wheel, on the dashboard. If your steering wheel is blocked, do not hesitate to consult our article on the steering wheel locked on you car to find out how to unblock it.
- Insert the key into this one.
- Check that you are in neutral for a manual car and in the “N” or “P” position for an automatic transmission.
- Turn the ignition on by turning it clockwise a quarter turn until you feel you’ve passed the first notch.
- Check on your dashboard that the orange lights go out, if you don’t know what they mean don’t hesitate to consult our article on orange lights on your car to know the reason for this.
- You just have to go one more notch clockwise and hold it in the stop until your vehicle starts (do not let your starter run more than 10 seconds otherwise you risk damaging it, if the car does not start, let it recover a few tens of seconds before a new test)
- That’s it. You managed to start your car,
How to start a car with the key card?
After discovering how to turn on the engine of your car with key or will explain you how to do it for a vehicle equipped with a key card and not a key. The procedure remains more or less the same, so don’t hesitate to go back to the previous part to have details on each of the steps to do. Discover below the steps to follow to start your car with a card:
- Depending on the year and the series, you may or may not need to insert the card in a dedicated slot, check on your dashboard if your car is equipped with this slot or not.
- If it has one, insert the card in this hole, otherwise you can keep the card on you or anywhere in the cabin.
- Find the “start” button, which is usually located at steering wheel height close to the classic neiman location, otherwise it is usually positioned on the centre console.
- Check that you’re in neutral or neutral on an automatic transmission.
- Press the “start” button once to turn on the ignition of your car
- Press a second time after a few seconds or extinction of the orange lights on your dashboard to start your car
How do I start my car without a key?
And finally, we will see, how to start a car without a key? Let’s imagine that you have lost your keys and your car is open, this might seem logical. However, you should know that if your car is newer than the mid 90’s it will be difficult to start it without a key because of all the security devices present on it. Of course, this should only be done on YOUR car. Here is the procedure to follow:
- Remove the cover that protects your steering wheel and locate among the 3 electric switches the one that concerns your engine/battery/starter (to help you, please bring your user manual).
- Strip, connect them together and isolate the battery and ignition wires (be careful not to electrocute yourself during the procedure). You now have electricity as if you had the contact
- Finally, strip the starter wire and connect it quickly with the battery wire (do not make prolonged contact and only 1 or 2 seconds should be enough to start your car).
There, you’ve discovered all the methods to start a car.