If you’re a bit of a do-it-yourselfer, you’re probably eager to take care of most of the work to be done on your car, but some are more complex than others and require the removal of body parts or components to access the part you want to work on. We would like to help you in this process. That’s why today we are going to see how to remove the bumper from your car. This operation is not very complex and you should be able to do it with few tools. For that, first we will see how to remove the front bumper of your car, then how to remove the rear bumper of this one.
How to remove the front bumper from my car?
So let’s start our article with the front bumper of your XXX. To remove it, you will just need a set of ratchet wrenches, some screwdrivers and torx bits. Here are the steps you will have to follow in order to disassemble the bumper properly:
- If you want to be more comfortable, we advise you to put your car on stands and to remove the front wheels to have a perfect access to the whole front bumper.
- Open the bonnet of your vehicle: Seems obvious, but you will need to have access to the bumper attachment in your engine compartment.
- Remove the wheel archs: They’re also called fenders, but they’ll get in the way and prevent you from accessing all the screws on the front bumper of your car. Depending on your vehicle features and the year of your model, you will also be able to find staples, to do this, you will just have to use a staple extractor or to do it gently with a big flat screwdriver, and use a lever to open the staple.
- Then you will have to unscrew the screws that is behind your mudguard and that locks the front bumper of your vehicle on the sides.
- Unscrew the screws or remove the clips on the upper part of the bumper in the engine compartment.
- Now it’s time to go under your car to unscrew the bolts that are on the chassis of the vehicle, you will find some in the middle of the bumper and on the sides.
- Remember to unplug the connection of the plate lighting and the distance control sensor if you have it.
- Carefully remove the front bumper by first unclipping the sides. If it doesn’t come off, you probably forgot a screw or a clip. Think of using a carpet or other to avoid that it gets scratched by touching the ground.
That’s it, you’ve seen all the steps of how to remove the front bumper from your car, to reassemble it follow the steps in the opposite direction.
How to remove the rear bumper from my car?
And now, even if the procedure is quite similar, we will look at the case of removing the rear bumper from your car. For each step to avoid repeating ourselves we will only give you the broad outlines, refer to part 1 if you have any doubts or questions for more details.
- Start by performing the same first step, that is, lift your car and remove your rear wheels in order to have an optimal working frame to remove the bumper of your vehicle serenely
- Remove the rear wheel arches of your vehicle to access the side bumper side brackets
- Open your trunk
- Remove the side brackets in your wheel arches to make it easier to remove the bumper from your car.
- Remove the lower bindings underneath your car.
- At the same time, remember to disconnect the rear license plate light and the reverse radar sensors if you are equipped with them.
- Unscrew the top brackets from the top of the trunk.
- Now all you have to do is remove the rear bumper from your car, follow the same procedure as for the front bumper
Here, you have seen through these two parts, how to remove the bumper from a vehicle whether it is the front one or the rear one the techniques are pretty much the same and it is enough to be meticulous to make everything go well.