Contemporary automobiles have more and more functionnalities and even though they provide us a lot of convenience, a lot of them are not always easy to use. Regardless whether you have rented a car, been lent one, or just bought a Mini Cooper, according to its functionnalities, it can be difficult to know precisely how to start a Mini Cooper? Even if this required act of running a car may seem obvious to most of you, dependant upon the options and the year of production of your car, it will be more or less elementary to do so. On this webpage we will explain the several methods to start a Mini Cooper with the key, then, in a second section, how to switch on a Mini Cooper with a card, and to finish, without using the key.
How to start a Mini Cooper with key?
So we commence our content page which is meant to show you how to start a Mini Cooper, which is equipped with a classic key start. Find under the various steps to be accomplished to turn on the engine of your Mini Cooper:
- Find the position of the neiman (hole in which the key is introduced), it is generally on the right side of your steering wheel, on the dash. If your steering wheel is blocked, do not think twice to have a look at our content page on the steering wheel blocked on Mini Cooper that is blocked to discover how to unblock it.
- Put the key into this one.
- Check that you are in neutral for a manual car and in the “N” or “P” position for an automatic transmission.
- Turn the ignition on by turning it clockwise a quarter turn till you feel you’ve passed the first notch.
- Check on your dashboard that the orange lights turn off, if you don’t know what they suggest don’t think twice to have a look at our content page on orange lights on Mini Cooper to learn the explanation for this.
- You just have to go one more notch clockwise and hold it in the stop until your Mini Cooper starts (do not let your starter run more than 10 seconds otherwise you risk damaging it, if the car does not start, let it recover a few tens of seconds before a new testing)
- That’s it. You managed to start your Mini Cooper,
How to start a Mini Cooper with the key card?
After discovering how to turn on the engine of a Mini Cooper with key or will describe you how to do it for a Mini Cooper equipped with a key card and not a key. The operation remains more or less the same, so don’t think twice to return to the previous part to get details on each of the steps to do. Learn down below the steps to follow to start your Mini Cooper with a card:
- Depending on the year and the series, you may or may not need to insert the card in a dedicated slot, examine on your dashboard if your Mini Cooper is equipped with this slot or not.
- If it has one, insert the card in this hole, otherwise you can keep the card on you or anywhere in the cabin.
- Locate the “start” button, which is generally located at steering wheel height close to the classic neiman location, otherwise it is generally placed on the centre console.
- Check that you’re in neutral or neutral on an automatic transmission.
- Press the “start” button once to turn on the ignition of your Mini Cooper
- Press a second time after a few seconds or extinction of the orange lights on your dashboard to start your Mini Cooper
How do I start a Mini Cooper without a key?
And to finish, we will see, how to start a Mini Cooper without a key? Let’s imagine that you have lost your keys and your car is open, this might seem obvious. However, you should know that if your Mini Cooper is more modern than the mid 90’s it will be complicated to start it without a key because of all the security equipment present on it. Naturally, this should only be done on YOUR car. Here is the technique to follow:
- Remove the cover that protects your steering wheel and locate among the 3 electric switches the one that concerns your engine/battery/starter (to help you, please bring your user manual).
- Strip, connect them mutually and separate the battery and ignition wires (be careful not to electrocute yourself during the operation). You now have electricity as if you had the contact
- Finally, strip the starter wire and connect it promptly with the battery wire (do not make prolonged contact and only 1 or 2 seconds should be enough to start your Mini Cooper).
There, you’ve discovered all the techniques to start a Mini Cooper.
To get more tips on the Mini Cooper, take a look at the Mini Cooper category.