Regardless of you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, get rid of of green waste, or have a hitch is pretty handy. In this post, we will show you the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Lexus NX . Obviously, even if the set up process is not complex, it is required to describe some points to consider this task without any problem. First of all, we will discover what the electrical wiring harness of your car hitch consists of, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Lexus NX .
What’s the wiring harness for a Lexus NX hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Lexus NX?
So we will start our article by detailing the fundamentals of a wiring harness of a Lexus NX. In order to understand how it functions, you must already understand its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is necessary and above all mandatory by the highway code to follow certain rules, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to fulfill all the electrical requirements, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Lexus NX . We will look into this in this article, if you want to learn how to install the hitch of a Lexus NX, please discover our article on this theme.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Lexus NX?
We will now quickly show you how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your car to power the hitch lights on your Lexus NX. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Lexus NX trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be identified on all Lexus NX hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions needed for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will discover a plug for each action (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Lexus NX: This plug system is specifically used for caravans that involve 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical equipment in the cabin. This type of connection requires the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the car is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Lexus NX?
To finish this article, we will quickly show you you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Lexus NX .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Lexus NX?
To install the wiring harness of an old Lexus NX, you will have to go and get all the required cables in the rear lights of this one. We suggest you to call in a car electrician for this intervention because it is complex, but we will nevertheless summarize the main steps to be accomplished:
- Take out the trunk lining from your Lexus NX to access the rear light unit.
- Find the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Lexus NX?
For new Lexus NXs, the wiring harness is much simpler to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will discover particular ones for your Lexus NX and universal models. It’s up to you to select according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Take out the trunk lining from your Lexus NX so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Lexus NX and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the case in the trunk effectively.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Lexus NX?
Finally, to finish this article we will quickly show you you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Lexus NX . To do this you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to select the one that means your model and your budget. After you have conducted this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If you need more tutorials on the Lexus NX, go to our Lexus NX category.