In this article we will try to help you fix a issue that can be annoying, and if not taken in time become a financial drain. In reality, spotting a leak on your vehicle is hardly ever reassuring, and it is even less reassuring when it’s a gearbox leak on your Alfa Romeo 156 . Today, we’re going to help you ensure that it’s in truth a gearbox leak, then, how to fix a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, at last, give you an indication of the price of the gearbox of a Alfa Romeo 156.
Gearbox leak on Alfa Romeo 156, origin and symptom
If you have spotted an oil stain on the ground, you will need to verify that this leak is in truth coming from the gearbox of your Alfa Romeo 156. To accomplish this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be coming from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once verified, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In case it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to fix a gearbox leak on Alfa Romeo 156?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Alfa Romeo 156, we will try to describe to you what are your possibilities to fix this oil leak. Bear in mind that in any case, after having founded a leak, you must go to a mechanic to distinguish the exact origin of the leak, otherwise your gearbox might be irreparably broken. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the mechanic and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to distinguish the leak, the technician will have to take apart your gearbox, which will involve a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your technician will change it and reassemble the gearbox of your Alfa Romeo 156, otherwise you’ll have to replace the whole gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is just powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Alfa Romeo 156?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Alfa Romeo 156 , however here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this manipulation, please go through our content on this subject matter.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug slight leaks, you will locate some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Alfa Romeo 156 gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an indication of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Alfa Romeo 156. As you have understood, gearbox problems often lead to a whole replace of this part. It is hard to give you a precise price because depending on the mechanic the labour can vary a lot and depending on your engine the part will as well have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To discover more tips on the Alfa Romeo 156, take a look at the Alfa Romeo 156 category.