More and more car owners are trying to maintain their cars on their own. This results in substantial cost savings because contemporary cars involve more and more maintenance and are done up of more and more technical parts that lead to new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the problems that disturbs more and more Kia Sorento owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will lead to a loss of power and black exhaust gases. Today we are going to examine how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Kia Sorento? . First, we will show you how your mass airflow sensor operates and its advantages, second, why it may be important to clean this sensor , and finally, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Kia Sorento .
Utility and operation of the mass air flow meter of a Kia Sorento
So we start our article with the operation and point of your Kia Sorento flowmeter.
The goal of the mass air flow sensor on Kia Sorento
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been created actually quite recently and mainly outfitted on diesel models. Indeed, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is so necessary for the ECU to know the exact volume of air loaded into the engine to change the actions of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Kia Sorento, do not hesitate to consult our article on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Kia Sorento
Now, we are going to examine how it operates, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Kia Sorento , you must already understand how it works to achieve this maintenance work properly.
The mass air flow sensor is consequently mainly there to collect data on the air intake of your motor vehicle. To achieve this, it must be mounted just after the air intake of your Kia Sorento, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe outfitted with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transmit the data to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Kia Sorento?
The mass air flow sensor of your Kia Sorento can have problems and this is what we will try to discover and figure out what problems you may be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor problems Kia Sorento
Here are the different problems that the air flow sensor of your Kia Sorento can provoke:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will necessarily lead to more significant fuel consumption due to poor air flow…
- Power loss: Associated with the same issue, this lack of air can provoke a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the automobile: Finally, one of the last traditional problems associated with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Kia Sorento will have more troubles to start the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Kia Sorento?
After examining the operation and problems that the flowmeter can provoke, we will look at how to fix these problems by describing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Kia Sorento . You should know that this procedure is actually quite basic to accomplish and you will not need advanced mechanical expertise to do it yourself, a good technique to avoid a trip to the workshop and a steep bill. Discover down below the different steps to follow to accomplish this maintenance act:
- After having based the mass air flow sensor of your Kia Sorento , you will have to dismantle it. To achieve this, work delicately, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and detach the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once taken apart, you will have the ability to carry on to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Kia Sorento . This sensor will, as time passes, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer have the ability to collect data properly, it is in this sense that it will disrupt the operation of the engine unit of your Kia Sorento. The goal of this cleaning will be to remove all its impure substances to enable it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower section of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will remove most of the grime
- Now we’ll move on to the very delicate cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very careful, in any other case your mass air flow sensor will be permanently damaged. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, delicately clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of destroying it, you can as well clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Kia Sorento , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
If you have any additional questions about the Kia Sorento, do not hesitate to consult our Kia Sorento category.