More and more car owners are trying to maintain their cars by themselves. This results in substantial cost savings because modern cars necessitate more and more routine service and are done up of more and more technical parts that lead to new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the complications that affects more and more Ford Focus owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will bring about a loss of power and black exhaust gases. Today we are going to look at how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Ford Focus? . First, we will explain how your mass airflow sensor functions and its usefulness, second, why it might be important to clean this sensor , and finally, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Ford Focus .
Utility and action of the mass air flow meter of a Ford Focus
So we start our content with the operation and purpose of your Ford Focus flowmeter.
The purpose of the mass air flow sensor on Ford Focus
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been created quite recently and principally supplied on diesel models. In actual fact, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is so important for the ECU to know the exact volume of air loaded into the engine to modify the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Ford Focus, do not think twice to consult our content on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Ford Focus
Now, we are going to check out how it functions, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Ford Focus , you must already understand how it works to achieve this routine service action properly.
The mass air flow sensor is consequently principally there to get statistics on the air intake of your car. To achieve this, it must be installed just after the air intake of your Ford Focus, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe supplied with a sensor that will analyze the air in the intake and transfer the statistics to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Ford Focus?
The mass air flow sensor of your Ford Focus can have complications and this is what we will try to see and figure out what complications you might be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor complications Ford Focus
Here are the different complications that the air flow sensor of your Ford Focus can provoke:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will actually end in excessive fuel consumption because of poor air flow…
- Power loss: Linked to similar problem, this lack of air can provoke a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the vehicle: Finally, one of the last traditional complications associated with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Ford Focus will have more troubles to start the car.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Ford Focus?
After looking at the operation and problems that the flowmeter can provoke, we will look at how to resolve these complications by describing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Ford Focus . You should know that this process is quite simple to accomplish and you will not need advanced mechanical skills to do it your self, a good way to avoid a trip to the workshop and a steep bill. Discover down below the different steps to stick to to accomplish this routine service act:
- After having found the mass air flow sensor of your Ford Focus , you will have to dismantle it. To achieve this, action delicately, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and detach the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once disassembled, you will be able to proceed to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Ford Focus . This sensor will, as time passes, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data properly, it is in this sense that it will disrupt the operation of the engine of your Ford Focus. The purpose of this cleaning will be to take out all its impurities to allow it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower part of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will take out most of the grime
- Now we’ll proceed to the very delicate cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very watchful, in any other case your mass air flow sensor will be permanently broken. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, delicately clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of harming it, you can also clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Ford Focus , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine.
If you wish more guides on the Ford Focus, go to our Ford Focus category.