A catalytic converter is an important component of contemporary cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus fulfills modern pollution specifications. However, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or breakdown, in which circumstance a change or cleaning is important. Today we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Audi S3? To do this, first of all, we will describe the scenarios in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Audi S3, then, how to carry out this cleaning to retrieve the effectiveness of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Audi S3?
In this first part we will show you why it might be significant to clean the catalyst of your Audi S3 . Indeed for some of you it may seem logical but most of you do not understand how it functions and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Role and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Audi S3
The catalytic converter of your Audi S3 has the goal to get rid of harmful exhaust gases associated with the operation of your engine unit. Indeed, it is one of the most important elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Audi S3. It will transform these harmful gases into water or nonpolluting gases. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Audi S3 a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is consequently important to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Audi S3. If you are thinking of making sufficiently long journeys to heat it up frequently (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimise the life of this part and maintain best engine unit performance.
Results of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Audi S3
We will now see what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Audi S3 . This will enable you to distinguish the symptoms that should alert you to a failure of your catalytic converter, here is the list of symptoms of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Audi S3 is blocked: As we said above, if you make too short travels like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Audi S3 may come on, do not hesitate to consult our content page to identify how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often also have complications.
- A metallic noise caused by the exhaust: In the event the catalyst is dead you should hear this noise which means that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Audi S3
Before we finish with the step you are most likely most curious about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Audi S3? We will show you why it might be important for you to carry out this cleaning. Indeed, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the set up, the price can fluctuate according to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last benefit is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it frequently will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Audi S3?
Finally here is the step that you are most likely most enthusiastic about in this article, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Audi S3? Know that this procedure is very basic, and that there are two methods to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Audi S3 on a regular basis: This approach is specifically useful for people who principally do short trips . To do this, nothing could be easier, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to enhance the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can locate some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go frequently at high rpm . If you can before and later on do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can carry out this process every 15 000km.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Audi S3, do not hesitate to consult our Audi S3 category.