A catalytic converter is an essential component of modern cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus matches modern pollution requirements. However, it is possible that it may become clogged or breakdown, in which circumstance a change or cleaning is fundamental. In this article we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Audi Tt? To achieve this, first of all, we will describe the situations in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Audi Tt, then, how to accomplish this cleaning to retrieve the efficiency of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Audi Tt?
In this first section we will teach you why it might be necessary to clean the catalyst of your Audi Tt . In truth for some of you it might seem logical but most of you do not understand how it works and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Audi Tt
The catalytic converter of your Audi Tt has the goal to eliminate harmful exhaust gases associated with the process of your engine. In truth, it is one of the main parts that fight against the pollution discharged by your Audi Tt. It will transform these harmful gases into water or non-polluting gases. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Audi Tt a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is consequently essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Audi Tt. If you are considering making adequately long trips to heat it up repeatedly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimize the life of this component and keep ideal engine efficiency.
Outcomes of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Audi Tt
We will now find out what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Audi Tt . This will enable you to establish the symptoms that should inform you to a malfunction of your catalytic converter, here is the list of symptoms of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Audi Tt is blocked: As we explained earlier, if you make too short trips like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Audi Tt may come on, do not think twice to seek advice from our content page to identify how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often times also have problems.
- A metallic noise originating from the exhaust: In the event that the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which results in that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Audi Tt
Before we accomplish with the step you are most likely most interested in, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Audi Tt? We will teach you why it might be relevant for you to execute this cleaning. In truth, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the set up, the price can fluctuate according to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last benefit is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it repeatedly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Audi Tt?
Finally here is the stage that you are most certainly most keen on in this content, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Audi Tt? Know that this procedure is very very easy, and that there are two methods to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Audi Tt on a regular basis: This strategy is especially valuable for people who principally do short trips . To do so, nothing could be simpler, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can discover some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go repeatedly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to verify that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can execute this process every 15 000km.
To discover more tips on the Audi Tt, take a look at the Audi Tt category.