Whether it’s for your personal safety, for roadworthiness testing or to avoid a fine, making sure your headlamp bulbs are always functional is very important. Indeed, bulbs are wearing parts that will inevitably burn out over time and therefore need to be replaced. You’re probably here because one of your position lamps is burnt out and you’re wondering how to change the bulb of my parking light, we’ve written this article to help you do this operation by yourself and not need to go to your mechanic. In a first step, we will look at changing the front daytime running light bulb of your car and in a second step, how to change the rear daytime running light.
How to change the front parking light bulb of your car?
We will start this article with the replacing the front daytime running light bulb of your car, be aware that depending on the year and finish of your car it may not be quite the same method to use. Indeed, even if the position of your bulb is not going to change, the access may be more or less congested depending on the options of your car.
First method, we will perform the bulb change of your daytime running light without removing the headlight of your car. Although this method is the simplest, it is not guaranteed that you will be able to perform it on your vehicle without encumbrance. Indeed, depending on the options and the year, on some models there will not be enough space for you to change the bulb in this way. Here are the two different methods to change the bulb of the front parking light of your car:.
- Going through the bonnet of your car: First technique, you will simply go through the bonnet of your vehicle to access your headlight unit. This is the most logical method but it is not always easy to achieve, often because of secondary parts that will block your access. To do this, here are the steps to follow. First, with the engine off, disconnect the terminals of your battery to avoid any short circuit or risk of electrocution. Once this step has been completed, you will need to access the back of your headlight unit to change the daytime running light bulb on your car. You may need to remove the battery for easier access. In this case, you will need to open the bulb protection cap on your headlight (¼ usually does the job), then you will need to remove the bulb socket from its location. To do this, pull gently on the socket and not on the wires (you risk damaging them), finally once the socket is out, you can change your position lamps bulb to car, being careful not to damage the wires and use a cloth to avoid dirtying your new bulb. Once finished, reassemble the assembly, reconnect your battery and perform a check test before taking to the road.
- By removing the crosshair grill and the headlight:
- Second alternative, you can remove the headlight of your car if the access through the engine block seems too complicated. To do so, you just have to open your bonnet, remove the front grill held by only a few torx screws, then remove the headlight in question. Once these steps are done you will only have to follow the same methodology as on the previous part to change the front daytime running light bulb of your car
How to change the rear parking light bulb on your car
Finally, if you wish to replace the rear parking light bulb of your car the method is much simpler, here are the different steps to follow to allow you to replace this bulb:
- Unplug your battery
- Get the floorboards out of the trunk.
- Unscrew the back cover of the headlight unit from your car.
- After locating the rear position lamps bulb on your carInsert your new parking light bulb into the headlamp assembly on your car
- Reassemble the whole thing.
Check that your parking lights are working properly again before you set off again and you’re done. If you want to change the fog light bulb on your car, please read our dedicated article to find out how to do it.