Air conditioning is one of the most interesting features on newer cars. Although it was previously reserved for high-end models, it has now been democratized for the vast majority of vehicles. However, this expensive and complex device requires special attention, and whether it’s for maintenance or because of odours, it is absolutely necessary to think about cleaning the air conditioning of your car. This is precisely what we will explain in detail in this article. First we will look in detail at the procedure to clean the air conditioning of your car, then in a second step, we will look more generally at the maintenance of the air conditioning of your vehicle.
How to clean my car air conditioning
Let’s start our article with the cleaning of the air conditioning circuit of your car. The only way to perform a complete cleaning of this circuit will be to use bactericidal and fungicidal products, in fact, your air conditioning produces a lot of moisture that will stagnate in the circuit and will promote the development of germs and bacteria of all kinds. You will find these products on the internet or in car centres. There are two ways to do this, here they are
Clean the air conditioning system of your vehicle in an easy way
Once you have a disinfectant spray, you can easily clean your car’s air-conditioning system.
The method is very simple, however, this procedure can dirty the inside of your car.
- Remove the cabin filter.
- Install the disinfectant spray on the floor of your car (ideally on the passenger side).
- Start your car’s ventilation and air conditioning (with the engine running) with air recycling
- With the windows closed, press the button on the bomb to empty it gradually and close the vehicle doors and leave it on for about ten minutes.
- Once this time has passed, open the doors of your vehicle, ventilation still on and let the passenger compartment air out for about 20 minutes.
This technique will allow you to quickly clean the air-conditioning system of your car, but if you have bad air-conditioning odours on your car that are persistent, we advise you to apply the second technique.
Clean deeply the air-conditioning system of your car
Now let’s move on to the more radical method of performing a cleaning of your ventilation system in depth. You will have to be equipped with the same bactericidal and fungicidal product, it is only the application that will be different. Here is the procedure to follow:
- Remove your cabin filter.
- By the external air intake of your car (between the hood and the windscreen), with the engine on and the ventilation on, spray several times for 5 seconds and leave all windows and doors closed for 5 minutes.
- Once this first step is done you will be able to tackle the inside part of your air conditioning system, doing the same but not the inside air intake which is usually located under the glove box.
- Finally, to finish, you can spray a few sprays into the vents of your car.
- All you have to do is air out your car while the product dissipates before you can use it again.
Maintenance of the air-conditioning of its car
Finally, to conclude our article, we will give you the main recommendations to respect, if you want to maximize the life of your air conditioning system on your car and limit unforeseen expenses.
- Have your air conditioning serviced every year
- Change your cabin filter every two years.
- Have your FREON gas recharged every two years.
- lean the air-conditioning system on your vehicle every year.