Regardless for your personal safety, for roadworthiness testing or to avoid a fine, being sure your turn signal bulbs are always working is extremely important. Indeed, bulbs are wearing parts that will predictably burn out over time and therefore need to be replaced. You’re quite likely in this article because one of your front turn signals is burnt out and you’re wondering how to change the bulb of a front turn signal on your BMW 5 Series, we’ve written and published this document to help you do it by yourself and not have to go to your auto mechanic. In a first step, we will take a look at the checking a burnt-out front turn signal bulb on your BMW 5 Series and in a second step, how to change the front turn signal bulb on your car..
How to recognize if the front turn signal bulb on your BMW 5 Series is burnt out or needs to be replaced?
When you drive your vehicle you don’t always have the possibility to check all the safety components of your BMW 5 Series. Indeed, you are frequently in a rush and tend to enter into your vehicle, make your trip and put it down immediately without taking the time to do an regular check-up. It is consequently crucial to take the time to occasionally check the state of your headlights and turn signals. It’s quite possible that you have a front turn signal on your BMW 5 Series, but that you didn’t notice it. Here are the two simple techniques to check if a front turn signal is burnt out or if you need to swap it fairly quickly:
- When you stop, turn on the ignition on your car, then alternately turn on your left and right front turn signals and get out of the car to check that they are operational.
- By hearing to the sound of your blinkers. Indeed, there is an audible signal on each car that signals you of a front turn indicator bulb burnt out on your BMW 5 Series, you will identify that the time between each “click” is much closer, this suggests that you will have to replace the front turn signal bulb or before. It’s up to you to check and make sure which one is burnt out by a visual check as on the first solution shown previously.
You may have another bulb to swap, like the one of your low beam or your position lights, don’t be reluctant to read our content articles to help you to achieve this replacing.
Replacing the front turn signal bulb on your BMW 5 Series
Now let’s go to the most significant step of this document, how to change the front turn signal bulb of your BMW 5 Series? Take note that this task is really easy, you will require to access, from the inside of your bonnet, through the wheel arch, or simply by your bumper to your headlight unit, open it and change the burnt out front turn signal bulb of your BMW 5 Series. If it is a bulb on your rear turn signal, see our dedicated document. However, here are the details of the actions to stick to to be able to conduct this act accurately depending on the method you desire to adopt.
Change front turn signal bulb on your BMW 5 Series through the bonnet:
- Open your bonnet and clear access to your headlight pods.
- Use a torx tip to open the headlight unit on your car
- Unscrew the front turn signal bulb from your car by turning it a quarter turn counterclockwise
- Replace the front flasher bulb of your BMW 5 Series by the new one (be sure to check if it’s an orange or transparent bulb).
- Reassemble and test that the new front turn signal bulb works.
- Lift your car, and take away the front wheel on the side you want to work on.
- Take out your wheel arch with a torx bit.
- Go to your headlamp block and swap the front turn signal bulb on your car following the same guidelines as on the part previously seen.
- Put your BMW 5 Series on a jack or a candle.
- Remove the screws of the motor shoe of your car(plastic part under your motor) and your shock absorber. Beware with the plastic staples which can be vulnerable.
- Remove your headlight block and swap the front turn indicator bulb of your BMW 5 Series following the steps seen in the parts seen earlier.
- Put the whole thing back together again.
Change the front turn signal bulb of your BMW 5 Series through the wheel arch:
This technique is specially valuable when you don’t have enough space in the bonnet to access the front turn signal on your car:
Change the front turn signal bulb of your BMW 5 Series through the bumper:
On some years or finishes, dependant on the options the only simple access you will have to swap the front turn signal bulb of your car will be to pass under your front bumper, there are only a few steps that change from the full process, we will explain them right now:
If you need more guides on the BMW 5 Series, go to our BMW 5 Series category.