If you feel you can’t see as well at night, or you feel you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these cases, there’s only one component of your car at fault – your headlights, also identified as high beams. Although this adjustment might seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a complete adjustment is much more complex than this elementary manipulation, and in this post, we are going to see how to adjust the headlights of your Ford E Series? To achieve this, first we will see why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Ford E Series.
Why adjust the headlights of your Ford E Series?
So let’s start our content page with the benefit of adjusting the headlights of your Ford E Series. For many people, our headlights are adjusted good enough, and they seem to light up enough at nighttime. However this is not always the circumstance and examining this setting, either because the headlights on your Ford E Series are not bright enough, or because you have the sensation that they are too weak is a wise decision .
Adjusting the high beams of your Ford E Series for safety
First of all, the headlight adjustment of a Ford E Series must be carried out for a very easy security explanation. Regardless it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. Obviously, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to ignore an obstacle on the road, or to anticipate a curve badly. However, if your headlights are too strong, even if you are meant to switch to low beam lights when you cross a car, the time needed to make this switch will generally expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Ford E Series . It is consequently necessary for others as well as for you to have an optimal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Ford E Series for legal reasons
In addition to security, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of motor vehicle headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it suggests: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be very same to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Ford E Series?
We will now move on to the part that concerns you the most in this post, how to adjust the headlights of his Ford E Series? This adjustment might seem a bit complicated, but by following the guidance you should be able to accomplish it without too much concern.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Ford E Series
First of all, you’ll need to prepare your car to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to put in place:
- Place your car on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Verify your tire pressure carefully.
- Verify that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unnecessary weight from the automobile, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Ford E Series
Once your vehicle is in place, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Verify with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the procedure here are the steps to follow:
- Open your hood, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical control of the headlights of your Ford E Series (they are generally designated, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side manages the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or different things to hide the projector on which you are not making the modification.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal modification, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical modification, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, verify that the headlights setting of your Ford E Series is logical, do not think twice to verify it after you have driven it, oftentimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Ford E Series, please go through our content page on this subject matter.
To get more tips on the Ford E Series, take a look at the Ford E Series category.