Whether you feel you can’t see as well at night, or you feel you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these circumstances, there’s only one part of your vehicle responsible – your headlights, as well named high beams. Although this adjustment may appear easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more technical than this basic manipulation, and in this article, we are going to discover how to adjust the headlights of your Chevrolet Impala? To do this, first we will discover why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Chevrolet Impala.
Why adjust the headlights of your Chevrolet Impala?
So let’s start our article with the benefit of adjusting the headlights of your Chevrolet Impala. For many people, our headlights are adjusted well enough, and they seem to light up enough after dark. Regrettably this is not constantly the circumstance and examining this setting, either because the headlights on your Chevrolet Impala are not bright enough, or because you have the feeling that they are too weak is a good idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Chevrolet Impala for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Chevrolet Impala must be achieved for a basic safety reason. Whether it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. In truth, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss out an obstacle on your way, or to predict a curve badly. Alternatively, if your headlights are too powerful, regardless if you are supposed to switch to low beam lights when you pass a vehicle, the time required to make this change will most of the time expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Chevrolet Impala . It is consequently important for others as well as for you to have an ideal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Chevrolet Impala for legal reasons
Furthermore to safety, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it specifies: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at least 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be matching to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Chevrolet Impala?
We will now proceed to the part that interests you the most in this article, how to adjust the headlights of his Chevrolet Impala? This adjustment may appear a bit complex, but by simply following the instructions you should have the ability to complete it without too much issue.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Chevrolet Impala
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your vehicle to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to executed:
- Place your vehicle on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Verify your tire pressure attentively.
- Verify that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Remove all unneeded weight from the vehicle, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Chevrolet Impala
Once your vehicle is in place, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Verify with a level that both parts of the cross are straight. Then back your vehicle up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the process here are the steps to follow:
- Open your hood, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical control of the headlights of your Chevrolet Impala (they are generally designated, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side handles the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or something else to hide the projector on which you are not making the modification.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal modification, you should have the most intense part of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line marked on the wall
- With regard to vertical modification, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly below.
- Once finished, verify that the headlights setting of your Chevrolet Impala is coherent, do not hesitate to verify it after you have driven it, oftentimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Chevrolet Impala, please read our article on this subject matter.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Chevrolet Impala, do not hesitate to consult our Chevrolet Impala category.