If you experience you can’t see as well at night, or you experience you’re lighting too low, or too high, in all these circumstances, there’s only one component of your car responsible – your headlights, as well known as high beams. Nevertheless this adjustment may seem easy thanks to the thumbwheel on your dashboard, a whole adjustment is much more complex than this elementary manipulation, and in this article, we are going to find out how to adjust the headlights of your Chevrolet Equinox? To do this, first we will find out why you need to adjust your high beams, and secondly how to adjust the headlights of your Chevrolet Equinox.
Why adjust the headlights of your Chevrolet Equinox?
So let’s start our article with the interest of adjusting the headlights of your Chevrolet Equinox. For most people, our headlights are adjusted sufficiently, and they seem to light up enough at night. Regrettably this is not always the circumstance and examining this setting, either because the headlights on your Chevrolet Equinox are not bright enough, or because you have the feeling that they are too weak is a good idea .
Adjusting the high beams of your Chevrolet Equinox for safety
To begin with, the headlight adjustment of a Chevrolet Equinox must be achieved for a very easy security explanation. Regardless it’s for you, or for the other users you come across during your night trips. Indeed, if you don’t see enough, the risk is to miss an obstacle on the road, or to anticipate a curve badly. Alternatively, if your headlights are too strong, regardless if you are supposed to switch to low beam lights when you pass a car, the time needed to make this change will most of the time expose the driver in front of you to the headlight beam of your Chevrolet Equinox . It is therefore important for others as well as for you to have an optimal adjustment of your headlights.
Adjusting the headlights of a Chevrolet Equinox for legal reasons
In addition to security, there is a law that supervises the power, the adjustment of car headlights (articles R313-2 of the Highway Code), here is what it suggests: have between 2 and 4 headlights that illuminate at minimum 100 meters. Another legislation supervises their use, the European one (directive 76/756/EEC), which stipulates that there is no maximum height for the adjustment of the headlights, but that the maximum width of the beam must be very same to that of the dipped headlights and that the maximum luminosity must be 225, 000 cd.
How to adjust the headlights of a Chevrolet Equinox?
We will now move on to the part that concerns you the most in this article, how to adjust the headlights of his Chevrolet Equinox? This adjustment may seem a bit complex, but by following the recommendations you should have the ability to perform it without too much concern.
Preparations to adjust the headlights of a Chevrolet Equinox
To begin with, you’ll need to prepare your car to adjust your high beams in good conditions, here are the preparations to put in place:
- Place your car on a surface in front of a white wall for example, about 4 or 5 meters from the wall.
- Check your tire pressure carefully.
- Check that the height adjustment knob for the lights is set to 0
- Try doing that with half a full tank.
- Take out all unnecessary weight from the automobile, only one person should be in the driver’s seat.
The headlight adjustment of his Chevrolet Equinox
Once your car is in place, you will turn on your dipped beam and make a cross-shaped mark (one horizontal and one vertical section) in the middle of the beam that will be projected on the wall. Check with a level that both parts of the cross are horizontal. Then back your car up to a distance of between 7 and 10 metres. For the rest of the procedure here are the steps to stick to:
- Open your hood, identify the screws for horizontal and vertical control of the headlights of your Chevrolet Equinox (they are in general designated, and those on top must modify the verticality and the one on the side handles the horizontality of the adjustment).
- Use a cloth or different things to hide the projector on which you are not making the adjustment.
- Using the screws to make the horizontal adjustment, you should have the most intense component of the beam which should be a little to the right of the vertical line noted on the wall
- With regard to vertical adjustment, you will have to use the screw to try to position the upper end of the beam at the level of the horizontal marking on the wall, or slightly down below.
- Once finished, check that the headlights setting of your Chevrolet Equinox is logical, do not hesitate to check it after you have driven it, sometimes it may move.
If you want to adjust the fog lights on your Chevrolet Equinox, please browse our article on this subject.
If you need more guides on the Chevrolet Equinox, go to our Chevrolet Equinox category.