Certain elements of your car are fundamental to its correct functioning, and to go further, necessary to your safety and that of other users. Your braking system is one of them, and if there’s one thing that must be in good working order, it’s this one. When you begin to have brake problems you need to deal with it right away, that’s why our team has created this article on brake fluid leaks on Scion xB to help you address this concern in the right way and handle it fairly quickly. To do so, we will first see the function of brake fluid, then, what causes a brake fluid leak on your Scion xB , and at last, how to fix such a leak.
What is the function of brake fluid on a Scion xB?
So we begin our article by fairly quickly detailing the function of this famous brake fluid in the braking system of your Scion xB. To understand, a brake system operates with a closed hydraulic circuit, that is to say that you will have rigid hoses filled with brake fluid that are pressurized by the master cylinder, and when you press your brake pedal, your brake fluid will be pressurized and will actuate your brake calipers so that they pinch the brake pads on your discs. It is consequently necessary that you always have the right level of brake fluid on your Scion xB, if you don’t know how to carry out this manipulation, seek advice from our article on this subject.
Motives of a brake fluid leak on your Scion xB
We now move on to a more necessary part to help you understand why you have a brake fluid leak on your Scion xB .
What causes a brake fluid leak on a Scion xB?
First, we’ll describe the different possible roots of the leak of your Scion xB. Here are the ones down below:
- A damaged brake hose: It’s one of the most general causes, one of the brake hoses has been cut and you lose brake fluid and pressure through this hole.
- A defective master cylinder on Scion xB can lead to leaks on its different entries or exits.
- In most cases this comes about when a brake drain has been performed not too long ago, and it is generally not tightened properly.
- Wheel cylinder: Only present on drum brakes, this part can leak and trigger an imbalance in the braking.
How to spot a brake fluid leak on Scion xB?
We will now give you the different recommendations and symptoms to interpret to verify that you have a brake fluid leak on your Scion xB , locate them down below:
- If the ABS warning light of your Scion xB is on , you have to verify immediately the condition of your circuit, do not think twice to seek advice from our dedicated article to have all the steps to carry out.
- If your Scion xB pulls to the left or right when you brake you may have a brake fluid leak.
- This is one of the most visible indications, if you feel that your pedal is much less difficult to press down and goes up more slowly, it is very likely that you have a loss of pressure in your brake system.
- More logical, but if you locate brake fluid on one of these components you are bound to have a leak since this circuit is supposed to be closed.
How to resolve a brake fluid leak on Scion xB?
The only solution when you experience a brake fluid leak on your Scion xB is to go to your garage. If it is light, verify your level and drive carefully to the garage, if it is too big don’t drive and have your motor vehicle towed. A general breakdown of your brake system will lead to an accident. You can, however, make a few frequent checks to limit the risks:
- verify the brake fluid level repeatedly.
- Purge your brakes every two years or 40, 000 miles.
- Replace the brake fluid if you feel the brakes on your Scion xB become “soft”.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Scion xB, do not hesitate to consult our Scion xB category.