Watching your automobile is important nowadays, indeed, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is exactly the topic we are going to talk about in this article, one of the signs that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Toyota Tacoma. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Toyota Tacoma?.
What does the ABS light on Toyota Tacoma indicate?
We will commence our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on Toyota Tacoma, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Toyota Tacoma?
To start with, it is necessary to explain to you what the ABS of your Toyota Tacoma is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Toyota Tacoma is composed of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Toyota Tacoma
The fact is, you can quite easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Toyota Tacoma
Now we proceed to the section that you are most certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Toyota Tacoma? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Toyota Tacoma can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Toyota Tacoma to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Toyota Tacoma: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will inevitably turn on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Toyota Tacoma?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Toyota Tacoma?. The answers will be based upon the deficiencies you are having. First of all, pass your Toyota Tacoma to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Toyota Tacoma, don’t be reluctant to examine our article content which points the steps to take. Once you have identified the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Toyota Tacoma:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Toyota Tacoma, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota Tacoma category.