Keeping an eye on your automobile is important in these days, in reality, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the subject we are going to talk about in this article, one of the signs that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Cobalt. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Cobalt?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Cobalt indicate?
We will start our content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Cobalt, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Cobalt?
To start with, it is important to describe to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Cobalt is employed for so that you can understand the remaining of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Cobalt is composed of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Cobalt
The fact is, you can quite easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Cobalt
Now we proceed to the section that you are certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Cobalt? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is faulty. You should be aware that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Cobalt can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them motives the ABS light on your Chevrolet Cobalt to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Cobalt: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Chevrolet Cobalt?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Cobalt?. The answers will depend on the failure you are enduring. Firstly, pass your Chevrolet Cobalt to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Cobalt, don’t be reluctant to go through our content page which details the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Cobalt:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To discover more tips on the Chevrolet Cobalt, take a look at the Chevrolet Cobalt category.