Watching your automobile is very important nowadays, in fact, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is exactly the theme we are going to discuss on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Toyota Matrix. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Toyota Matrix?.
What does the ABS light on Toyota Matrix signify?
We will begin our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Toyota Matrix, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Toyota Matrix?
To start with, it is essential to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Toyota Matrix is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Toyota Matrix is made up of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Toyota Matrix
The truth is, you can simply experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Toyota Matrix
Now we proceed to the section that you are almost certainly more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Toyota Matrix? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be advised that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Toyota Matrix can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Toyota Matrix to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Toyota Matrix: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Toyota Matrix?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Toyota Matrix?. The answers will could depend on the failures you are experiencing. Firstly, pass your Toyota Matrix to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Toyota Matrix, don’t think twice to examine our content which points out the steps to take. Once you have discovered the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Toyota Matrix:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more tutorials on the Toyota Matrix, go to our Toyota Matrix category.