Paying attention to your car is fundamental in these modern times, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is precisely the topic we are gonna focus on today, one of the indicators that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Impala. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Impala?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Impala signify?
We will begin our content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Impala, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Impala?
First of all, it is vital to explain to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Impala is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Impala is made from different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Impala
In reality, you can quite easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Impala
Now we go forward to the part that you are most probably more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Impala? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be knowledgeable that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Impala can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Chevrolet Impala to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Impala: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Chevrolet Impala?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Impala?. The solutions will might depend on the deficiencies you are enduring. Firstly, pass your Chevrolet Impala to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Impala, don’t think twice to browse our article content which explains the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Impala:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Chevrolet Impala, take a look at the Chevrolet Impala category.