Keeping an eye on your vehicle is important in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is exactly the theme we are going to focus on on this webpage, one of the indications that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Toyota Corolla. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Toyota Corolla?.
What does the ABS light on Toyota Corolla indicate?
We will start our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Toyota Corolla, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Toyota Corolla?
To start with, it is necessary to explain to you what the ABS of your Toyota Corolla is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Toyota Corolla is consisting of different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Toyota Corolla
The truth is, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Toyota Corolla
Now we move on to the section that you are likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Toyota Corolla? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be conscious that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Toyota Corolla can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Toyota Corolla to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Toyota Corolla: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Toyota Corolla?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Toyota Corolla?. The solutions will could depend on the deficiencies you are experiencing. Firstly, pass your Toyota Corolla to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Toyota Corolla, don’t hesitate to examine our article which points the steps to take. Once you have located the source of your trouble, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Toyota Corolla:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve spotted an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Toyota Corolla, take a look at the Toyota Corolla category.